As part of the European GNSS Agency’s co-funded activities aiming at adopting European GNSS systems, ECARO (Egnos Civil Aviation Roadmap) is a 27 months project started on August 2019. ECARO can be considered a multidisciplinary project for the multiple domains concerned (PBN, Airports, Helicopter Operations, FIV Aircraft, RPAS) and proposes innovative concepts developed by ENAV. The main objectives of the project are:
- Implementation of EGNOS (LPV) procedures on the airports of Genoa, Trieste, Bari, Turin and Grottaglie
- Development of 3 PBN backbones for the helicopters (namely: Adriatica, Appenninica and Tirrenica)
- Retrofit of 2 aircrafts of the ENAV’ Flight Inspection fleet with SBAS and ADS-B avionics
- Development of a mobile platform for the validation of helicopter procedures
- Experimentation of LPV approaches for drones at on Grottaglie airport
As well as developing the above mentioned specific activities, ENAV will also act as coordinator in the ECARO project Consortium participated also by the Apulia Aerospace Technology District, Planetek, UMS Skeldar (main contributor for the drone related activities) and Airgreen (main contributor for the helicopter related activities).